Friday, September 10, 2010

On Becoming Chicano: Questions for Reflecting and Writing

I would define myself as a Samoan. Bascially the struggles I've gone through, was just helping my parents on just little things they don't know about the American cultrure. Plus, a little help with them speaking English. If my parents didn't understand what people were saying, I would just tell them in Samoan. For my experiences that related to Rodriguez is that I sometimes have problems understanding my parents when they speak Samoan. I understand most of it, but when they try to go beyond what I know. I have trouble. Its also hard for me to speak it. I been learning for a while now, and is catching on to most of my language. When i was little i understood everything, but now I have to refresh it sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. HI Jay,

    So how do you think your community viewed you? Would you believe that it is different like the author? The author's community viewed him as an outsider. Why? However, the others viewed him as a Chicano intellectual. Why the difference?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think just as, "the kid, who we have to speak english too", kid. and no, not reallt different from where the aurthors coming from. they viewed him as an outsider because he forgot about his culture, and the others viewed him as a Chicano intellectual because he was getting smart and started to adapt to there ways.

    ReplyDelete